Saturday, October 29, 2011

Double Delight ~ Exquisite Color and Fragrance


My little cutting of Double Delight has produced few but marvelous blossoms this summer. This rose opened in early October, its deep crimson petals revealing a rich, pastel treat.


Soft pink, cream and buttery yellow petals are revealed as the rose slowly wakens, unfolding with a broad, friendly smiling face.


The fragrance is as rich and complex as its colorful display; deeply inhaling the center of the rose provides an initial draught of deep old rose. A soft, sweet finish reminiscent of vanilla French buttercream lingers for an almost imaginary moment.


The winter will freeze the ground to as much as four feet deep. I will keep all my new babies, including this little Double Delight, watered and mulched until the distant spring reveals their survival or demise.

You may click to enlarge the above photos.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra, to me it is still amazing that it is possible to propagate roses from cuttings and you have been particularly successful with your 'Double Delight'! Your description of the fragrance of it is simply wonderful. I wish I could write that well! Wow, your ground freezes up to four feet down?! That is a lot and I guess pretty hard on the roses. Hope you get all your little cuttings through the winter.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty! You description of the scent has me taking a deep breath. I've read that roses take off the third year from a rooted cutting.

    Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Christina.
    The local utility company recommends burying water lines at 4 feet just to be safe. It doesn't always actually freeze that deeply each year, but it can. By January the ground is a frozen block at least as far as most rose roots go, though, for sure. I certainly hope my babies make it to grow and thrive for another season, too!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, FlowerLady. I'd love to have arm loads of DD for the house. I am being very patient. :)
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have captured 'Double Delight' at its most beautiful. One of my favorite roses to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I do so love Double Delight. It is a very photogenic rose.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete