Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Minis from Cuttings


We begin with the proud parents:


The roses above were acquired from the local grocery store 10 or 12 years ago. The pink, white and red minis thrive in our garden and reward us with cheery blooms all season long.



This little white offspring was planted in spring 2010. The plant is happy and healthy in the garden. The photo above and below were taken in June 2011.



The individual flowers are small, perfectly formed  pure white roses.




The above photo was taken in June. The pink mini is darling. This was the first of my cutting batch from last fall that rated a pot. I documented its progress in a previous post:



It struggled a bit when it was first planted out, but it has recouped admirably.



I adore the pink variations on this rose. Flowers may be dark or light at any stage, giving the bush a festive appearance. 




Now shown above in August, its already of a respectable size. I hope it begins to rival its mother across the front walk by next year.




The mother plant (above)  is a real blooming machine!

8 comments:

  1. Sandra, your self propagated miniatures are so beautiful! Congratulations to your success! It still amazes me that you can take a "regular grocery store mini" and just plant them out it in the garden and they do so well. These little roses are really tough plants. I especially love the photo of the "mother" pink mini on the last photo. What a lovely little rose!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Christina. These little ones have given us great delight. They such joyful workers.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your minis look gorgeous! I love the white one especially. It is amazing how well grocery-store roses can do :). I hope the babies grow fast and bloom even more next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Masha. I am beginning to love minis more and more as they are our best performers through the summer.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. What interesting color have the mother plant.
    It's really charming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Mihai. Yes, it is a favorite. I do love pink in all shades.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done that exact thing but my small little red rose isn't quite that big yet more like your cuttings but I'll give it some time yours are lovely. Love the mini's, so tiny and cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Kendra!
    It takes time for the grocery-store minis to come into their own, and some never make it. But it's always worth a shot.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete