Saturday, May 28, 2011

Clematis Madame Julia Correvon


Clamatis viticella 'Madame Julia Correvon' is performing well in her first full season in our garden.


We purchased two at the end of the season last year on sale. 


Into the ground from their 3 gallon buckets, our Madames Julia must have settled right in last year, since they are blooming wonderfully this year after an early spring pruning of the entire plant.



They are planted at the long fence in the back yard, with Pink Lemonade honeysuckle and our 4 new Aloah roses. The fence has a south exposure, and is buffeted by the prevailing winds, so I was not sure how clematis would do. She must be one tough lady! I love the color; like the wine-red sea, and just as tempest-tossed.


Our second Madam Julia Correvon is growing at the end of the fence near the gate.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Sandra, I've been admiring that one for a while but wasn't sure how it would like Florida. I really like the color. It's sure is doing well in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, that is certainly one lovely clematis! I have never seen it before. Thanks for sharing! I am astonished that Madame Julia Correvon has grown that much after being just a relatively short time in your garden. She must love your yard. Your garden design to plant her together with a Pink Lemonade honeysuckle and 'Aloha' roses sounds very pretty. I would love to see a shot of all the plants lining up along your fence.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! What lovely clematis you have! Thank you for the information! I have been tempted with the Walmart and Home Depot ones (CF Young) many times but I am glad that I didn't impulse buy! I love the wine color! Lovely! I would love to know more on clematis and growing them with climbing roses. It is rather confusing regarding pruning and such. I LOVE those wine colored blooms! Something fun for me to think about finding a place for in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hellosa, Sandra !
    Very pretty flowers! I love the look of the Clematis,the colors are always so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sherry! It seems to love it here.

    Christina, I think starting with 3 gallon plants with strong root systems made a big difference. I hope as things fill out I'll get some broader shots. Thanks!

    Thank you, Kelsey! I hope you find a clematis you love. It is a joy to grow. Of the 3 pruning types, type '3' or 'C' are the least complicated, blooming on new wood each year. You needn't retain any old wood. Simply cut back to a pair of buds a foot or so above ground when new growth begins in late winter. C. viticella are among group 3.

    Thank you, Sandra, for your kind remarks.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful, and really big for a first-year plant. You are taking very good care of it! It should look great with the roses, I can't wait to see more pictures of them blooming together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Masha.
    I was so pleased at how rapidly it took off this year. It must have had a really good root system. I hope to get some 'together' photos posted if the roses ever start blooming!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete