Monday, January 3, 2011

The Long Road to Spring

Rural School Bus Route Near Three Turkeys Canyon ~ Looking  Toward  Black Mesa
It's a long road to spring here. Rural roads go from being beautifully snow packed in the frozen days to become warming, melting mud bogs.

Road to Sawmill ~ Past Spider Rock, Canyon de Chelly
The cold ebbs and wanes slowly, then comes at us again with ferocious storms from the north or the west, making daily life and travel a painstaking process:
Highway 15 South of Burnside, Arizona, on our way to Flagstaff Arizona, December 31, 2010.  Only 120  Miles to Go!
Having a winter garden project, for me,  is essential. This fall I tried the Ziplock baggie method for rooting roses. I am very pleased with the project so far. (Please see my Propagation Project Page .) I originally had about 30 cuttings in baggies:

Cutting in Baggies
Roots Showing on Cuttings after 4-6 Weeks in Baggies
 It seems that just under half are going to make it; not a fantastic outcome but enough to keep me busy and excited.

Roots!
I'll Have Roses to Plant This Spring!!
I do love living in such a remote, quiet spot on the globe, whatever the inconveniences. With the darkest day of the year behind us now and my new roses growing their little hearts out for me in the living room, I can almost think, as did the beaming, simple Mr. Collins, carving and eating away at Lady Catherine De Bourgh's table, that perhaps, 'life could furnish nothing more'.
(You May Click to Enlarge the Above Photos.)

1 comment:

  1. I loved your pictures, we almost never get to see snow here. Your rooted cuttings look great, how exciting to see those tiny baby plants!

    I love Pride and Prejudice too:-)

    Masha

    ReplyDelete